Saturday, September 26, 2009

Saturday: to Madrid and Reina Sofia


Atocha Train Station

one of the surrealist paintings at Reina Sofia

a Picasso at Reina Sofia

some sculptures at the Reina Sofia

So, today was another nice five hour bus ride across Spain. My bus left at 10 this morning, so I got up early, ate some breakfast, and was on my way. I got to Madrid at about 3, then hopped on the metro and got to the hostel around 4. I showered, then decided to venture out. I found a place nearby to sit down and grab a quick bite to eat, then decided to go to a museum.

I visited the Sofia Reina Art Gallery, which houses some very famous surrealist (and other types of) paintings, and just so happens to be free on Saturdays from 2:30 until 9. I was able to see some Picasso and Salvador Dali paintings in person for the first time, and they were beautiful. I stayed there until they kicked us at at 8:30, but I think I might go back tomorrow because there were at least two floors I didn't even peek at.

It seems that the fun starts pretty late in Madrid, so I might enjoy a few beers with some new friends, but I plan on getting up early tomorrow because it's my only full day here in Madrid and there's lots to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment