Monday, July 20, 2015

Holi Hai in Busan

My two-month vacation ended quite some time ago, but I'm still doing a bit of catch-up on the blogs.
One of the best things that I did while in South Korea was attending the annual Holi Hai festival in Busan. The festival itself is Indian, and the entire event was organized by a group called Indians in Korea. The group basically tries to raise awareness of the cultural heritage, one of which is this particular festival

Holi Hai, otherwise known as the Festival of Colors, celebrates the coming of spring, the joy of friendship, and equality for all. People who attend are encouraged to wear white (so the colors show up better) and clothes that you don't mind will get ruined. The colors symbolize happiness, love, and the freedom to live vibrantly.

The festival in Busan happens every year on beautiful Haeundae Beach. You have to register before the event, and when you arrive you receive a samosa, a coke, and a packet of brightly colored powder. There's live music, dancing, street food, and booze everywhere. I think the Koreans that went to the beach to sunbathe were just a tiny bit confused by the giant, brightly colored festival happening on their favorite spot to hang out. It was a great day -- the weather was beautiful, I was with some of my favorite people, and I got to experience a festival that I have wanted to attend for ages. All in all, a great day!


These are the packets that contain the brightly colored powder we threw at each other.
Libby and I had not really gotten into the fray yet.

Two of the best ladies I have ever met, Ally (from Wisconsin!) and Coral.
This was after we really got into the color throwing.

Korea Reunion!
I cannot even explain how excited I was to see these ladies again.

Libby going into warrior mode.


Libby and a new friend, Kelsen. We had tons of fun together!

Attempted action shot...

Pure happy.



No comments:

Post a Comment